Click on Newsletter to download.
Winter 2023 Newsletter - February 13, 2023
- Artemis: An editorial on recent assignments creating images of the Artemis 1 launch and ad images for Elinchrom.
- Equipment Review: The Elinchrom FIVE 500 Ws battery-powered strobe.
- On Assignment: The NASA Artemis 1 Launch.
- Ai. An editorial about the new Ai engines creating photographs and how that might impact the photo industry.
Fall 2022 Newsletter - November 21, 2022
- To the Moon and Beyond: An editorial on recent assignments creating images of bull riders, astronauts and renown physicists.
- Equipment Review: The FUJIFILM GF20-35mm f/4 wide-angle lens for the GFX system.
- On Assignment: The Arizona Ridge Riders--Professional Bull Riders.
- On Exploration: An editorial about my fascination with risk, adventure sports and exploration.
Spring 2022 Newsletter - May 23, 2022
- Three Years In: An editorial on Covid predictions and the ups and downs of the photo industry.
- Equipment Review: The Aquatech EDGE Pro for the FUJIFILM GFX100S.
- On Assignment: Aaron Fitzgerald of The Flying Bulls.
- The End of an Era: An editorial about the recent news that Outside is shutting down some iconic magazines.
Fall 2021 Newsletter - November 30, 2021
- Cosmic Correlations: An editorial on photographing a renown physicist and an astronaut.
- Equipment Review: An Epic Year in Camera Technology.
- On Assignment: An Astronaut on Planet White Sands.
- Blurry Aspens: An editorial detailing a recently created image of an Aspen grove.
Summer 2021 Newsletter - August 4, 2021
- Upside Down: An editorial on going inverted in a helicopter on a recent assignment.
- Equipment Review: The FUJIFILM GF 80mm f/1.7 R WR lens.
- On Assignment: 2021 Red Bull Air Force Training Camp.
- Finding your Voice: An editorial about finding your true voice as a photographer.
Winter 2021 Newsletter - February 19, 2021
- Mt. Everest Bump Edition: An editorial on playing guitar, testing camera gear and waiting for the vaccine.
- Equipment Preview: The FUJIFILM GFX 100S.
- On Assignment: Creating images for the launch of the FUJIFILM GFX 100S.
- Riders on the Storm: An editorial about George Nobechi's incredible Evenings with the Masters program.
Summer 2020 Newsletter - July 31, 2020
- Social Distancing Edition: An editorial on working from home during COVID-19.
- Equipment Review: The Eizo ColorEdge CS2740 4K Monitor
- Equipment Review: The Eizo ColorEdge CG319X "Holy Grail" Monitor
- On Assignment: New Zealand - South Island.
- Interview: Arthur Meyerson -- A conversation about his most recent fine art photography book.
- A Bumpy Ride: An editorial on being creative in tough times with a pandemic and national upheaval.
Spring 2020 Newsletter - May 11, 2020
- Covid-19 Edition: An editorial on going through the looking glass into the Twilight Zone.
- Equipment Review: The FUJIFILM GF45-100mm f/4 R LM OIS WR lens
- On Assignment: MARSOC. An assignment from last fall with the Marine Special Forces.
- Excerpt: Chapter 2 -- Equipment Selection from my e-book A Professional Photographer's Workflow
- Self-Quarantine: An editorial about dealing with forced isolation as an adventure photographer.
Winter 2020 Newsletter - January 17, 2020
- Time Off: An editorial on taking time off over the holidays after a crazy assignment schedule this past year.
- Equipment Review: The FUJIFILM X-Pro 3
- On Assignment: Red Bull Rampage. A detailed look at my assignment covering the 2019 Red Bull Rampage.
- Work-Life Balance: An editorial discussing the work-life balance, which is always a struggle for freelancers.
Summer 2019 Newsletter - August 14, 2019
- On the Run. An editorial detailing the crazy list of assignments so far this year and why there wasn't a Spring 2019 Newsletter.
- Equipment Review: The FUJIFILM GFX 100
- On Assignment: Project Hermes. A detailed look at my assignment for the launch of the FUJIFILM GFX 100.
- The Big Switch: An editorial discussing my latest adoption of the new mirrorless medium format FUJIFILM GFX 100 and the story of how this megapixel-monster has become my main camera system.
Winter 2019 Newsletter - February 15, 2019
- Skiing with the Bison. An editorial from Yellowstone looking forward to another trip to Hawaii and recalling an earlier one from a month prior.
- Equipment Review: The Nikon Z6
- On Assignment: Yellowstone National Park in Winter
- Sold on Mirrorless: An editorial discussing how my latest experiences with mirrorless cameras have converted me from an optical viewfinder snob.
Fall 2018 Newsletter - November 20, 2018
- The Embargo. An editorial on marketing while waiting for images that are under embargoes and also an introduction to this issue of the Newsletter.
- Equipment Review: The Nikon Z7
- On Assignment: Merrell #OneTrail Assignment
- The Instagram Game: An editorial discussing how professional photographers use Instagram.
Summer 2018 Newsletter - September 6, 2018
- Photography Awards. An editorial on awards won by the Lighting the Spirit Campaign.
- Equipment Review: The Elinchrom ELB 500 TTL
- On Assignment: Working with the Patriot Jet Team for Method Seven Sunglasses.
- The Changing Face of Advertising: An editorial on how the advertising world has changed in the last decade.
Spring 2018 Newsletter - April 12, 2018
- Is it worth it? An editorial seeking feedback on the Newsletter.
- Equipment Review: Adobe Lightroom Classic CC
- On Assignment: A recent big wave surfing shoot at Peahi, a.k.a. JAWS
- Embracing Failure: An editorial on how embracing failure is part of the road to success.
Winter 2018 Newsletter - January 11, 2018
- Hang Ten. An editorial introducing this issue of the Newsletter.
- Equipment Review: A review of the Nikon D850.
- On Assignment: The Elinchrom Adventure School
- Excerpt: What is "Good" Lighting? From my e-book Location Lighting for the Outdoor Photographer.
- Setting Goals: An editorial on how setting goals and writing them down can be the start of something big.
Summer 2017 Newsletter - August 21, 2017
- Over the Edge: An editorial highlighting recent assignments.
- A preview of the Elinchrom ELB 1200 battery-powered strobe.
- On Assignment: Lighting the Spirit.
- Recap: My recent CreativeLIVE class on Advanced Lighting for Adventure Photography.
- Misconceptions: An editorial detailing the not-so-glamorous life of an adventure photographer.
Spring 2017 Newsletter - May 16, 2017
- Deep Powder: An editorial highlighting recent assignments.
- A review of the Wacom Intuos Pro graphic tablet.
- On Assignment: Red Bull Air Force.
- The Purple Cow: An editorial on Seth Godin's book and how it relates to the photo industry.
Winter 2017 Newsletter - February 16, 2017
- Back in Action. An introduction to this issue of the Newsletter.
- Equipment Review: A review of the Sekonic LiteMaster L-478DR-U-EL Light Meter.
- On Assignment: Photographing boxers for Sekonic Light Meters.
- G.A.S. An editorial discussing "Gear Acquisition Syndrome" and photographers fascination with equipment.
Fall 2016 Newsletter - December 15, 2016 -
Jet Lag, Surgery and Recovery. An introduction to this issue of the newsletter, a recap of recent travels and a note on my recent surgery.
- Equipment Review: A review of the Pro Media Gear Elinchrom ELB400 cage and a bonus review of the Matthews Road Rags Kit.
- On Assignment: Photographing ultra trail runners for New Balance.
- Staying Curious. An editorial discussing a quote by Julian Richards about curiosity and it’s relation to photography from a recent interview in Rocket Science Magazine.
Summer 2016 Newsletter - September 14, 2016
- Non-Stop Travel. An introduction to this issue of the newsletter and a recap of recent travels.
- Equipment Review: A review of the Nikon D5.
- On Assignment: Red Bull Summer Solstice Photo Challenge with Levi Siver.
- The Next Level. An editorial about being challenged and inspired in a recent workshop with the legendary photographer Albert Watson.
Spring 2016 Newsletter - May 20, 2016
- Motivation by Design. An editorial about shooting with a new camera and how that forces me to work differently.
- Equipment Review: A review of the Hasselblad H5D 50c WiFi medium format camera system.
- On Assignment: Traversing the Patagonia Ice Cap.
- Breaking through the Noise. An editorial on strategies for getting noticed in this competitive industry.
Winter 2016 Newsletter - March 14, 2016
- Big Decisions, Lots of Travel. An editorial about my latest travels, and on buying a Hasselblad medium format digital camera system.
- Equipment Review: A review of the G-Technology G-Dock ev.
- On Assignment: Hi-Sync BMX. An in-depth look at an assignment for Elinchrom USA.
- Perspective: Standing Out. An editorial on making your work stand out and getting noticed.
Summer/Fall 2015 Newsletter - November 20, 2015
- An Explanation. An editorial about why this Newsletter was so late and my recent travels.
- Equipment Review: A review of the new Elinchrom Skyport Plus HS transceiver. -
On Assignment: Hypersync Surfing. An in-depth look at a ground-breaking surfing image.
- Excerpt: An excerpt from my updated digital workflow e-book on Making Fine Art Prints.
- Perspective: The Hustle Never Ends. An editorial on the realities of working as a freelance photographer.
Spring 2015 Newsletter - April 28, 2015
- Staying on Track. An editorial about being committed to this years goals and improving a variety of skills.
- Equipment Review: A review of the new Elinchrom ELB 400 battery-powered strobe.
- On Assignment: Hypersync Ice Climbing. An in-depth look at my latest portfolio shoot.
- Expeditions: Details on a new breed of photo workshop with Vertical Shot Expeditions.
- Perspective: A Diversified Strategy. An editorial on the importance of having a diversified income.
Winter 2015 Newsletter - January 28, 2015
- Looking Back, Looking Forward. An editorial about making goals and thinking about long-term ambitions.
- Equipment Review: A review of the Other World Computing (OWC) ThunderBay 4 RAID enclosure.
- On Assignment: In the Fisher Towers with the Red Bull Air Force.
- Perspective: Are you Indispensable? An editorial about the new realities of working as a pro photographer and digital content creator.
Fall 2014 Newsletter - November 17, 2014
- A Confluence of Paradigms: An editorial about my latest assignments where I was given incredible freedom.
- Equipment Review: A review of the Elinchrom ELC Pro HD strobes
- On Assignment: Seakaypes - An assignment for Red Bull Photography and Nokia
- Perspective: On Assignment with a Mobile Phone
Summer 2014 Newsletter - July 29, 2014
- Out of Control: An editorial explaining why the Spring 2014 Newsletter never happened
- Equipment Review: A review of the SmallHD DP4 external video monitor
- On Assignment: Vale do Javari: A Profound Experience in the Amazon
- Interview: An interview with Peter Dennen of Pedro + Jackie photo consultants
- Perspective: Great Advice and Hard Truths
Winter 2014 Newsletter - March 17, 2014
- Separate Reality: An editorial about the Red Bull Air Force team
- Equipment Review: A review of the Nikon 1 AW1 hybrid waterproof camera
- Bonus Equipment Review: A review of the Sensor Gel Stick -
On Assignment: Red Bull Air Force 2014 training Camp
- Fine Art Prints: Big Prints and the Nikon D800
- Perspective: On Being an Artist
Fall 2013 Newsletter - October 31, 2013
- Fresh Eyes: Finding new creativity by shooting an unfamiliar subject.
- Equipment Review: A review of the PocketWizard ControlTL Wireless Transceiver System
- On Assignment: The Inside Passage
- Perspective: The Photo Issue
Summer 2013 Newsletter - July 28, 2013
- Getting a Boost: An editorial about finding inspiration on a recent assignment.
- Equipment Review: An overview of the new features in Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5.
- On Assignment: Red Bull WindBoost
- Perspective: The Illusion
Spring 2013 Newsletter - April 25, 2013
- Onward and Upward: An editorial about adapting to new technologies.
- Equipment Review: An equipment review of the TrekPak dividers for Pelican Cases.
- On Assignment: The Anatomy of a Personal Project
- Perspective: Taking Risks
Winter 2013 Newsletter - January 21, 2013
- Under a Starry Night: The Learning process never ends.
- Equipment Review: The Nikon D800 vs. the Phase One IQ180
- On Assignment: NEXTera Energy Resources
- Perspective: It's Not About the Camera
Fall 2012 Newsletter - November 9, 2012
- One Door Leads to Another: Looking back on 16 years of assignment work.
- Equipment Review: The Lowepro Rover Pro 45L AW Backpack
- On Assignment: Shooting Adventure Sports Images for Schiesser
- Perspective: Embracing Risk
Summer 2012 Newsletter - August 15, 2012
- Two Books in One Year: Balancing Assignment work and writing two Books.
- Equipment Review: The New Elinchrom Lithium Ion Quadra Battery
- Education: How to Choose a Photography Workshop
- Excerpt: An excerpt from Adobe Photoshop Lightroom: A Professional Photographer's Workflow
- Perspective: Swimming at Pipeline
Spring 2012 Newsletter - May 18, 2012
- The Never Ending Treadmill: Why this is the first Newsletter of 2012.
- Equipment Review: The Nikon D4 and D800
- On Assignment: Shooting Adventure Sports Images for Lifstil
- Excerpt: An excerpt from Exposed: Inside the Life and Images of a Pro Photographer
- Perspective: A Torturous Process
Fall 2011 Newsletter - November 23, 2011
- Chasing a Wave: An editorial about a trip to Tahiti where I photographed big wave surfing.
- Equipment Review: The Nikkor AF-S 200-400mm f/4G ED VRII telephoto zoom lens
- On Assignment: At the End of the Road - Teahupo'o, Tahiti
- Perspective: Giving Thanks
Summer 2011 Newsletter - August 8, 2011
- 24 Seconds: An editorial on a recent assignment for State Street Global Advisors.
- Equipment Review: Nikon's Perspective Control (PC) Lenses
- On Assignment: Red Bull X-Alps
- Perspective: Following Through
Spring 2011 Newsletter - May 25, 2011
- An editorial with the latest news and announcing the major redesign of the Newsletter.
- Equipment Review: My Favorite Camera Bags, Part II
- Interview: Sabine Meyer, National Geographic
- Perspective: Staying Relevant
Winter 2011 Newsletter - February 10, 2011
- An editorial wrapping up 2010 and discussing my most recent work.
- Equipment Review: The Canon iPF5100 Large Format Printer
- Behind the Scenes: The Art of Motion
- Perspective: From Stills to Motion
Fall 2010 Newsletter - November 17, 2010
- An editorial discussing this issue as the 10th Anniversary issue of the Newsletter.
- Equipment Review: My Favorite Camera Bags.
- Special Portfolio: Elite Kenyan Runners.
- Perspective: The Definition of Success
Summer 2010 Newsletter - July 29, 2010
- An editorial with updates on a recent workshop.
- Equipment Review: The Eizo ColorEdge CG243W Monitor.
- Special Portfolio: On Assignment with the Red Bull Air Force.
- Perspective: Reality Check
Spring 2010 Newsletter - April 19, 2010
- An editorial with updates on recent assignments and once in a lifetime opportunities.
- Equipment Review: The Elinchrom Quadra.
- Special Portfolio: The 2009/2010 Quicksilver in memory of Eddie Aikau big wave surfing competition.
- Stories from the Road: The 2010 Wenger Patagonian Expedition Race.
- Perspective: The end for the Printed Portfolio?
Fall 2009 Newsletter - November 25, 2009
- An editorial with updates on recent assignments and upcoming trips.
- Equipment Review: The 12 MP Nikon D3 vs. a 39 MP Hasselblad H3D.
- Portfolio: Recent images from California, Pennsylvania and New Mexico.
- Special Portfolio: On assignment for Red Bull in San Diego, California.
- Perspective: Connecting with your Audience
Summer 2009 Newsletter - August 7, 2009
- An editorial with updates on the newsletter and other topics.
- Equipment Review: A few of my Favorite Things
- Portfolio: Images shot this summer in Utah, New Mexico & Texas.
- Perspective: The Future Magazine
Spring 2009 Newsletter - April 21, 2009
- An editorial on my latest adventures
- Equipment Review: The Nikon D700
- Stories from the Road: 2009 Wenger Patagonian Expedition Race
- Special Portfolio: On assignment for Men's Fitness Magazine
- Perspective: The Proposal
Fall 2008 Newsletter - December 2, 2008
- An editorial on the rough economy and the latest news.
- Review: The Elinchrom Ranger RX Speed AS Kit.
- Extended Editorial: Following your Passion.
- Portfolio: Recent images from California and New Mexico.
- Perspective: Under Pressure
Summer 2008 Newsletter - August 21 , 2008
- An editorial on burning the candle at both ends and the creative urge.
- Review: Adobe Lightroom 2.0 - A few of the new features.
- Inside Scoop: Anatomy of a Portfolio
- Portfolio: Portraits of some Freedivers at Blue Hole near Santa Rosa, NM.
- Perspective: Making the Connection
Spring 2008 Newsletter - May 28, 2008
- An editorial on Inspiration and the Creative Spark.
- Review: Nikon's D300 - Part II: A more detailed critique.
- Special portfolio and Article about the Patagonia Expedition Race.
- Portfolio: Images from Patagonia, White Sands, and New Mexico.
- Perspective: Finding Inspiration.
Winter 2008 Newsletter - March 20 , 2008
- An editorial written while on a plane headed to Patagonia.
- Review: Nikon's D300 - First Impressions of this stellar new camera.
- Portfolio: Images from Colorado, California and Patagonia.
- Perspective: A Good day.
Fall 2007 Newsletter - October 11 , 2007
- An editorial on hanging tough and giving back.
- Review: Digital Photography - Where do we go from here?
- Print Portfolio: Detailed account of how one image was captured.
- Digital Dogma: Determining the proper exposure with Digital.
Summer 2007 Newsletter - July 28 , 2007
- An editorial on revamping portfolios and new stock shoots.
- Review of Photoshop CS3: Is it worth the Upgrade?
- Workshops: October Digital Vacation.
- Digital Dogma: Backing up.
Spring 2007 Newsletter - May 14 , 2007
- An editorial on blogging and my new blog site.
- Review of the Epson R1800 Photo Printer.
- Review of the Pocket Wizard Plus Transmitter and Receiver.
- Digital Dogma: CMYK Conversions.
Winter 2007 Newsletter - February 5 , 2007
- Editorial: Getting back to Photography.
- Review of the Nikon SB800 speedlight.
- Review of the Eye-One Display 2 monitor calibration device.
- Digital Dogma: Color Management.
- A 2-page tutorial on how to profile and calibrate your monitor.
Fall 2006 Newsletter - November 29, 2006
- An editorial on staying positive in an ever changing industry.
- Review of the Nikon AF-S 70-200mm f/2.8G VR ED-IF.
- Update on the Nikon D2x firmware upgrade.
- An article on Digital Workflow for Photo Buyers.
Summer 2006 Newsletter - August 5, 2006
- Editorial: Sand storms and mesh tents.
- Review and comparison: Apple Aperture vs. Adobe Lightroom.
- Digital Dogma: Upsizing digital images, just how far can you go?
- A special portfolio of work produced in Joe McNally's Workshop.
Spring 2006 Newsletter - May 12, 2006
- A special portfolio section of images shot while on assignment for Adobe.
- Review: A comparison of the Nikon D200, D2x and the Canon 1Ds Mark II.
- Digital Dogma: Sharpening 101 for photo editors.
- Perspective: Where we are at with Digital Photography.
Winter 2006 Newsletter - January 19, 2006
- Editorial: How much longer will photography last as a profession?
- Review of the Epson P2000 portable hard drive.
- Digital Dogma: The RAW Misconception.
- Special portfolio of deep water soloing images from Mallorca, Spain.
- Perspective: Archival Stress, the issues of archiving digital images.
Fall 2005 Newsletter - November 10, 2005
- An editorial on stock photography and its influence in the photo industry.
- Review of the Dyna-Lite Uni 400jr AC/DC monolight.
- Michael’s latest experiments and workflow with ACR and Nikon Capture.
- Indian Creek, Utah special portfolio.
Summer 2005 Newsletter - August 3, 2005
- An editorial on going digital.
- Review: Nikon D2x and how it compares to medium format and 35mm film.
- Digital Dogma: Charging for and dealing with Digital Capture.
- Special portfolio from a three week river trip in the Grand Canyon.
- Perspective: Anecdotes from a recent freeride photo shoot.
Spring 2005 Newsletter - March 27, 2005
- Editorial: Taking it to the next Level.
- Review of the Nikon D70.
- Review of the Hasselblad 503CW.
- Perspective: Digital and Medium Format.
Fall/Winter 2004 Newsletter - December 20, 2004
- An editorial about the new newsletter format and look.
- Review of the Apple PowerMac G5 Tower.
- News: National Geographic uses Michael's work, recent clients and travels.
- An article on Digital Photography and how editors are responding to it.